Victoria Lodge (formerly Brynogue), Westminster Road, Foxrock, Dublin 18
One of the best homes fronting onto Westminster Road, this Edwardian mansion was built c. 1906 and was extended by the previous owner, James Dowling, in the 1990’s and also in the year 2000. The house currently extends to approx. 5,700 sqft and sits on grounds of c. 1.5 acres.
The property was originally named Bryn Goleu until the 1930’s, before being renamed Brynogue, and recently Victoria Lodge.
It was first available to rent in 1908 and the first description of the house comes from 1921: lounge hall, dining room, morning room, drawing room, cloak room, 5 bedrooms, bathroom, w.c., pantry, kitchen, servants room, offices, ‘garden and pleasure ground’ and two verandas.
In 1946, Liala Maud Birney died, leaving an estate of approx £19,700 and the house was subsequently sold. The only difference between the house in 1921 and 1946 was the added garage. The next owners were the family of Kevin J. Keenan and his wife, Hilda Keenan.
For the the late 1980s, or even earlier, until 2012 the owners were been James K. Dowling and Ursula Dowling, of Catering Disposables Limited.
The house is exceptional. The property upstairs features 6 beds and 4 baths, all of which are decorated to a very high standard. Downstairs, most of the rooms are nice but somewhat outdated compared to the upstairs rooms. The large hallway with its parquet floors look fantastic. The conservatory is impeccable and fits in beautifully with the house. The other reception rooms, apart from perhaps the one with white couches, have likely been refurbished by the new owners. The kitchen is a fully-fitted Clive Christian kitchen.
The outside of the property is amazing. The 1.5 flat acres, which were landscaped by Gerry Daly, seem as though they are almost completely square in shape. The garden features an outdoor swimming pool and also a lawn tennis court. The house has two electric gated entrances – one off Westminster Road and the other off Mart Lane. There are various other small ancillary buildings included, such a pool house (304 sqft) with a w.c. thus suitable perhaps as a gym, a separate games room (385 sqft) and a detached garage by the Westminster Road gate.
One of the most pleasant aspects of this property is that it has survived over one century of existence without having its site chopped up, or without being demolished to make way for an apartment block. The house was first built on 1.5 acres and still retains its original gardens, which is most certainly a rarity on Westminster Road, where the grounds of other top class homes have been chopped up and divided in recent years.
The Dowlings have since departed, having sold the house in August 2012 for €3.45 million and purchased by unidentified buyers. The buyers have since renamed the house to Victoria Lodge.